Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A NEW ROUTE


Well folks I have done some thinking (rare) about this blog and I have come to somewhat of a conclusion. I have no horizon I have limited myself vertically. WHAT? I am limited to a post only ever so often only about barbering. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy this but this is very limiting, how do I solve this problem: (thinking) “hey I like Robb Report, GQ, and things manly.” What if I include things, which are categorized as manly? Perfect I thought. So here it is my updated thought, I blog about things that I enjoy and other people might enjoy as well that might be categorized as “things manly”. This new update is NOT going to about posh, uber expensive, unattainable for common people things. I will blog about items men and women can afford. Yes ladies you too can enjoy “manly” things example whiskey, cigars etc and if you don’t enjoy these things this will be perfect place to learn more about men and what your man might enjoy (gift ideas that are original and make sense). Has anyone else noticed certain “men’s magazines” that feature stuff that most regular people dream about or when they get rich will buy. I know that is part of the purpose called “entertainment” and help sells them, but REALLY? I feel they have no real purpose to real people. BAM. My new blog offers a solution.

First thing cigars and whiskey! Note: I purchased cigars for a friend’s birthday and he already had some of Utah’s best whiskey (drinking it now). These two are perfect for this renovated blog. The cigars were purchased from Tinderbox. This place has some of the best selection in Utah. They also have flasks, shaving sets, real badger hair shave brushes, exquisite selection of pipe tobacco and much more. I went with an Ashton; they really complement whiskeys, cognac, and other sipping drinks.

First up an Aston 8-9-8 this was around $9. The burn was somewhat fast. Very little effort was needed for the draw and decent amount of smoke. The flavor was mild a java mix really complemented the whiskey. I had a real enjoyable time smoking this. The burn was even throughout. Would definitely try this again maybe in a torpedo. One thing was the cigar was more mild the first half and became more rough second half. I got a little light headed from the second half of this stogie. Probably a 30-45 min cigar.

Second up was the Aston Aged Maduro #40. Now I didn’t get the pleasure of enjoying this that was my friends job. Nick was able to get it to burn very even. He said it was strong and bold. This stogie took quite some time compared to my cigar. I would suggest a 45 – 1 hr to smoke this bad boy. I think I picked this up for around 10 or so.

Some people reading this might think “YUCK!” (mostly my wife) but the enjoyment out of a cigar is that you take your time. Your smoking not necessarily for effect but the flavors that makes each and every stogie unique. Get a chance to make memories with friends. So many times I smoke a cigar people tell me of stories the last time they enjoyed or didn’t enjoy a cigar.

While Nick and I spent our time sipping High West he mentioned how even though it was windy and poor weather he felt like he was on a beach. Mostly because he connected with the last time he spent time drinking delicious smooth spirits and a cigar was time well spent with his Dad on the beach in Hawaii. I could only imagine (boo whish I had an experience like that). We did talk about things the both of us will only know. These memories that are impressed in our mind is what smoking a cigar makes special. We still as a family talk about how my brother-in-law got ill from inhaling his first cigar at my bachelor party, ha, memories.

Moving on to the High West Rendezvous Rye Whiskey. Brilliant! I am not one who is huge on what other people rate things. What I want to do is to see for myself and with that said I can understand how this is getting raving reviews. This rye whiskey got a 95 rating from Malt Advocate magazine. From what I have read they take two different whiskeys to make this one. A rough 6-year (95% rye, 5% barley malt) and a smooth 16 year old (80% rye, 10% corn, 10% barley malt). This is a very high rye percentage for any rye whiskey; usually I am not a fan of rye whiskey, however this is fantastic!! You have to give this whiskey a shot (figure of speech, I prefer to sip). They do not chill filter this whiskey, which they say, allow the natural oils to be retained adding flavor and texture and “a lingering finish we really enjoy in a sipping whiskey.”

A little on rye whiskey: Rye whiskey use to be very popular before prohibition. Drink such as Whiskey Sour, Manhattans, Old Fashioned were originally formed with rye whiskey but were later switched by the bar tenders to bourbon whiskey. Some other popular brands, which you may be familiar with, are Jim Bean, Wild Turkey, and Old Overholt. Rye whiskey must be made of higher than 51% rye, can include corn or barley malt as well. This is just the tip, I encourage to educate yourself.

This is my story and I might stick to it. Hope you enjoyed. I would love to hear your first memories of either cigars or sipping whiskey. Please share with me. Be safe and savor responsibly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The non-mentioning of Jameson whiskey in your blog is a shame! Just because it is not the most expensive does not mean that the Irish can't do it better. Ya Dig??

Big Boss Mike said...

I dig! Only thing is I was talking about the Rye Whiskey. Jameson makes wonderful straight barley whiskey. But great idea for next whiskey blog THANKS ANONYMOUS!