Saturday, April 3, 2010

True Professional

Wes the Barber

I put a vote on my blog: Who should I visit next? Wow I was not expecting so many people to come to the blog to vote for one specific barber. But they did. With all the votes being counted and re-counted I had a winner Wes the Barber.


The funny thing about it was the day I was calling to make an appointment a friend at work said “dude you have to check out my barber, he is legit.”

I was like “Neil you have a shag and girly hair why would I ever go to your barber?”

“Well all my friends get fades and he does the best one I have ever seen, he even cuts hair with a straight razor.” Said Neil the longhaired coworker

“Okay man I will at least look into him.” Then the longhaired fellow hands me a Wes the Barber card. I was like get out man this is who I was going to next. Already I was confident with my next SLC Barber Shop visit.

When I made the call to Wes the barber he only had appointment for a few days out. In my mind I thought, “okay this guy has plenty of customers that is good.” It is always weird when the barber is desperate like well I can get you in whenever I do not have any appointments. So once again I felt good about this SLC barber.



I set an appointment for 10 AM Saturday. That time rolls around and I am just walking in to The Hair People off of 152 South and 400 East right next to Crown Burger. Once I sat down it was a cozy comfortable waiting area, plenty of great magazines around. Old classic rock was playing over the shop.

Three little boys, I think they were brothers just got their haircuts before me. It was cute they were all matching and Wes asked them “so is today a matching day?” They were so happy he asked about that. They had little fades all lined up for Easter. They all ran over after the last one got of the chair and gave him high fives and thank you. They all liked their haircuts A LOT cause they said it multiple times.
I remember when I was young my dad would take my two brothers and I to get our haircuts for Easter on the Saturday before Easter Sunday. We felt so special like a million bucks afterward. Your little and you just think yeah I am cool after getting your haircut. You could tell this was how these little ones felt. Classic.

The layout of the shop is unique with each barber having a station with 5ft walls this makes it feels like you really are paid attention to. Wes’s station is really clean and well decorated. His great grandpa was a barber in Texas and he had tons of straight razors across the wall, a collection of his belongings that was framed, and multiple other barber items. One I my favorites was a special collection of aftershaves, lotions, and crèmes. Most of the time the barber uses his favorite, not Wes he uses his clients favorite and remembers if they don’t like a certain one or scent.



I asked for a low fade with short on top cause I like my hair messy spiky, if that is even a style? He went to work. AMAZING!! Truly I was very impressed with his talent. We talked about all short of things his great grandpa, stuff about my blog, barbering, our wives, etc etc etc. Something that you can only get from visting a barber. He is a genuine guy with some significant energy. I was asking about his website how it talked about a true “razor cut”. He taught me what is. This is where the barber takes a straight razor and comb and literally cuts the hair with it. He did my and it was awesome. He goes over the hair 3 or 4 different directions. Watching him perform his magic was very interesting. He is very good at what he does and very professional. If you have not been to Wes I recommend you go!! I am so pleased at the job he did and such a good guy. There at the shop they cut the mayors hair and the former mayor. What place can brag about that? Only at the Hair People. If not for the hair cut he is deep in the tradition of Barbering. I will be back to this place. This is yours truly SLC Barber signing out. Take care and may the shears be good to you!

No comments: